Originally opened in 1887 by Queen Victoria, the People’s Palace was built to provide cultural activities to the people of east London. In 1931, the Queen’s Hall was completely destroyed by fire and the Palace was rebuilt and reopened by King George VI and Queen Mary in 1937.
The refurbishment project restored the historic elements of the Grade II listed building while upgrading the infrastructure of the auditorium with modern audio-visual facilities and a large stage auditorium suitable for traditional theatre activities, teaching and examination space.
We provided new mechanical services, lighting and electrical power installations within the existing building fabric. Automatic cooling and ventilation systems were designed to cope with the heat produced by the Hall's 770-capacity audience. New theatre lighting and audio-visual systems were installed, as well as retractable 'bleacher' style seating which provides flexibility for the University.